osCommerce is a free and open-source online store management system written in PHP. It provides a range of features to help you set up and manage an online store, including a product catalog, a shopping cart, order management tools, customer accounts, and marketing and promotion tools. To use this portal, you will need a web server with PHP and a database management system (DBMS) such as MySQL or MariaDB. You can download osCommerce from the official website and install it on your server, and there are also many add-ons and themes available to extend its functionality. This open source application is designed to be easy to use and customize, making it a popular choice for small and medium-sized online stores.
Features of osCommerce:
- Product catalog: This allows you to create and manage a catalog of products, including categories, manufacturers, and products. You can add descriptions, prices, and images for each product.
- Shopping cart: This includes a shopping cart that allows customers to add products to their cart and check out when they are ready to purchase. The shopping cart supports multiple payment gateways and shipping options.
- Order management: This provides tools to help you manage orders, including an order history, invoices, and shipping labels. You can also create and send email receipts to customers.
- Customer accounts: This allows customers to create accounts on your store and save their billing and shipping information for faster checkout.
- Marketing and promotion: This provides tools to help you promote your store and products, such as coupons, gift certificates, and newsletters.
To use this project, you will need a web server with PHP and a database management system (DBMS) such as MySQL or MariaDB. You can download porject from the official website and install it on your server. There are also many add-ons and themes available to extend the functionality of osCommerce.
Install in XAMPP:
- Download osCommerce from the official website (https://www.oscommerce.com/).
- Extract the downloaded ZIP file to a folder on your computer.
- Open the XAMPP control panel and start the Apache and MySQL modules.
- In your web browser, go to http://localhost/phpmyadmin.
- In the PHPMyAdmin interface, create a new database for osCommercedb.
- In the osCommerce-folder on your computer, rename the file
configure.phpin a text editor and enter your database connection details. You will need to provide the database name, username, and password that you created in step 5.
configure.phpand copy the osCommerce folder to the
htdocsfolder in the XAMPP installation directory.
- In your web browser, go to http://localhost/osCommerce to start the osCommerce installation wizard.
- Follow the instructions in the installation wizard to complete the installation. You will need to enter your store name and address, select your language and currency, and set up an administrative account.
I hope this helps you understand what osCommerce is and what it can do. Let me know if you have any questions.