An online course portal is a website or platform that provides access to a variety of online courses, including video lectures, quizzes, and other resources. Online course portals are designed to make education more accessible and flexible by allowing students to learn at their own pace and on their own schedule.
Online course portals typically include the following features:
- Course catalog: A listing of all available courses, including information about the course content, instructor, and duration.
- Course content: Video lectures, readings, quizzes, and other resources that students can access as they progress through the course.
- Progress tracking: A system that allows students to track their progress through the course and see which parts of the course they have completed.
- Discussion forums: Platforms where students can engage in discussions, ask questions, and get feedback from the instructor and other students.
- Certificates: A certificate of completion can be provided to the students who successfully finish the course.
- Mobile compatibility: Online course portals are designed to be mobile-friendly, allowing students to access the course materials from any device.
- Automated tracking and reporting: Platforms often include tools to track student progress, test results, and generate reports for educators.
Online course portals can be used by a variety of organizations, including universities, businesses, and non-profits, to provide education and training to their students, employees, or members. Some popular examples include Coursera, Udemy, and edX.
It’s important to note that online course portals can provide a wide range of options for learners, but the quality of the courses can vary. It’s important to research the portal and the course providers before signing up for a course.
This project aims at creating a Online Course Portal for campus and organization. This allows registered users of the system to join a course available in the site and access the materials published for the course. People can register themselves as students of a course or Faculty for a course. When a person registers himself as a Faculty, an approval mechanism should be triggered which sends an email to the Administrator for approving the person as a Faculty. There will be an admin approval page where admin can approve the faculty members for the course.
The course home page should contain the title of the course and a brief description. There will be a discussion board for each course where students can interact, an announcement section, which contains the latest announcements, and a course content section which gives the links for the material available for the course. For faculty members there will be an extra link for uploading the course content in a zip file format. The course content should be html pages, which should be uploaded in the zip file format. There should be a mechanism for the faculty members to create a test for the course specifying the test title and a set of multiple-choice questions and duration of time of the test. There will be a Course Portal home page where there will be a registration link as well as a login screen is available.
There are three types of users in the system:
- Faculty (for a course)
- Student (for a course)
The administrator should be able to do the following:-
- Create a Course, by providing the course title and description.
- Approve Faculty members for a Course
- Delete the members of a Course
- Publish announcements
- A page to view all the feedbacks received.